Tuesday, January 4, 2011

We're just sand...

So, How do you get here?
All my customers, friends and even my wife often scratch their heads when I explain my ideas, or when they find out how I got the image I wanted.
It all starts with an innocent comment, something I heard, or a magazine. This particular one was actually kind of sad. Somebody I know is now in a very sad place. Let's just say that she risked her life, to try to get a better future. Things didn't work out for her the way she wanted them. This got me thinking about the dessert. I was in the dessert taking pictures about four years ago. Now I wanted to do it again. At Home. So I decided to build a gigantic sand box. I had an image in my mind, a woman alone in the dessert. Sad, vulnerable, beautiful.
I figured I could pull it off in a day or two. It took 500 lbs. of play sand. Many trips to the hardware store. A big pain in my back. Almost getting shot while collecting wild branches and grasses since it is hunting season and freezing temperatures.


It was actually a shoot that was planned for a very specific model. Somebody who inspires me and with whom I've worked before. She ended up rescheduling the very day of the shoot. Things have a way to work out, however. I had a shoot with another model later that day. She agreed to do my sand box concept. I feel bad for her. She got sand EVERYWHERE. However, I'm very pleased with the results. I got the pensive and delicate feeling I was going after. Defenseless under headlights. My thoughts go out for Dolores, hoping she'll soon be back with the people who love her and need her, Safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment