Saturday, January 15, 2011

Introducing...R1D1

 
The good people of the hardware store provided all I needed. The Stanley wheeled chest. (there's different sizes) the PVC hardware, some screws, the things to hook up  the straps, the strap ant the rest was common garage stuff.
R1D1 functions not only as a gear box, with wheels. Also is my mobile power source.  My Vagabond battery is inside, you can see the power strip on the outside, ready to provide juice for my Alien Bees, my boom box or a small fan.



Here you can see how easy is to attach your tripod, lightstands, umbrellas, your walking cane and whatever you want, very safely attached with just one strap. No messy and bouncy bungees!

This is the rig in action. Fully deployed with my umbrella, music for mood, all my gear stored neatly inside, protected from the elements and readily available. As I said, the problem most of the times has been to get my customers to get off their comfy seat so I can get my stuff out.


Update:
One reader asked me if you could access the inside while having the pole in. The answer was no. So that bugged me enough to modify it and address two other concerns: Now it is possible to open the container at any time, regardless if the pole is in. I have now independent straps. This is useful if there's gear I use more often, so I don't have to strap / Unstrap Everything every time. Smaller bundles are easier to handle :)
Lastly, I added a net that keeps the smaller parts, rods or monopod from slowly sliding down and getting out of place. The net is kept in place by two small carabiners. So I think this is the last version. Not to give it a coat of black paint and we're good to roll.
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adrian. I just found your blog through the Photoshelter interview. I LOVE your cart! I've been using a hand cart (like a furniture dolly); I strap my light stands and tripod to the upright piece, and stack my camera bag and a couple of plastic storage bins for my portable strobes, batteries etc on the 'blade' part. Can you access the inside when you have light stands strapped down, or when you have the painter pole erected?

    Thanks,
    Al Wright
    al.raintreestudios@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete