Monday, April 29, 2013

If you can't find the right tools, make them.

Due to my shooting style, I usually don't shoot with an on camera flash. I know, purists will say I need one to open up shadows and soften them. That's exactly what I don't want to do. However, during my couple's sessions, I increasingly found the need to use a little light, from the lens axis, to put some emphasis on some areas of the image. The normal on camera flash I used in the past was way cumbersome and heavy. So I've been on the look for a very small flash, which at the same time would have an external sync port to use for my pocket wizard. I bought the Nikon SB-27. Although it's quite nice, it was still a big heavy brick on top of my camera. I decided to make my own hybrid unit. I purchased the Bowen SFD450N, which doesn't have the external sync port, but it's small and light. From Radio Shack, I got a 3.5mm stereo jack. I disassembled the flash unit and made a hole for the jack, next to the battery compartment and soldered the jack connections to the flash's foot wires of the hot and ground signals.
 
Put back the flash together and Voilá! I now keep the Bowens on my camera as a fill, in case it's needed and use the sync port to plug in my pocket wizard! I love it when I get things to work my way! Adrian

No comments:

Post a Comment