Saturday, August 7, 2010

Price of art


So, I went to this group's practice. Brazilian Capoeira. They're so amazing! Besides the whole concept, a martial art disguised as a social event cuasi-dance, the elegance of the moves, the interaction of the players, the respect and feeling they display while playing is amazing. It's hard to take pictures at an event like this. first of all, these guys move....fast and a lot. secondly, many times the background is not the best, so you have to get creative.

I chose lower angles for two reasons: would leave the trees as background, cutting out bystanders and buildings to a minimum. secondly, because it gives a sense of greatness to the players, which is what I wanted to convey.
The problem I didn't count on, was power. I set my lights, get readings and then started shooting. I had a quantum battery pack, plugged to my sb-800 flash, so I was good to go. and I went. actually, I learned why the newer brother of the sb-800 has a thermal cut off. to avoid overheating.

this is how my flash looked before I ended my shoot:
This is after I noticed some burnt plastic smell but disregarded it as maybe somethin unimportant:
My trustworthy flash wouldn't stop firing. even when it melted.
So, next time, gotta either use two flashes at half of the power, or use the bnigger strobes, such as the Alien Bees 1600, to keep the little guys from working too hard.

just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment